View Single Post
      05-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #65
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Good points. I think the need for the V6 would be because the I6 can't be bored out enough to create the power the way they want. The N55 and N54 blocks are both different but as far as I'm aware they can't be bored out safely. So then you're looking at a whole new short block and the development costs associated with that. Then there's the fact that you're going to have an even longer (marginally) engine.
I an understand and appreciate this line of reasoning - that the I6 just can't provide any additional displacement while a V6 of course, could. I do agree that the 91mm bore center of the modern BMW M50-based I6 architecture won't likely yield an aluminum engine above 3L. However, as I have said in the past, I don't think more displacement is needed. I believe that 150hp/L is not only achievable by M Division, but in fact they will be blowing well past that figure in the coming generations of their engines. Current rumor suggests that the next generation of non-M BMW engines will be designed for up to about 136hp/L. To me it would be foolish to bet against 150hp+ from the M Division. In fact, I would not be surprised to see a them hit 170hp/L from their imminent turbo I4 engine.

When you think about it, Mitsubishi had a 150hp/L I4 some fifiteen years ago, right? Probably more, even. How is logical to believe M cannot match that today?
Appreciate 0