01-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post C&D: 2011 X3 xDrive35i Road Test Review

2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i - Short Take Road Test

BMW’s X3 crossover grows up and gets its turbo on.

BY MIKE SUTTON

VIA: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Introduced seven years ago, the original 3-series–based BMW X3 was getting old. In spite of a mid-cycle refresh for 2007, in our last comparison test of small luxury crossovers, we called it “a five-year-old BMW on stilts,” and poked fun at its tight back seat, dated interior, and high cost. (Of course, its fine driving dynamics meant it still charged to a second-place showing behind the then-new Audi Q5.) And so we welcome this new-for-2011 model. Like most vehicular reprises, the latest X3 has grown up and grown out—mostly to make room for the smaller X1 in BMW’s lineup—with a larger silhouette, more available power, and a marked increase in comfort.

With dimensional swelling in nearly every direction, most notably 3.4 inches of additional length, the X3 has a greater presence on the road, a trait also helped by a new exterior design featuring sharply creased sheetmetal. It’s roomier inside, with a back seat that’s now tolerable for adults, and a 40/20/40 split rear bench can now be optioned in place of the standard 60/40 split. The cabin is much nicer than before, although it is bereft of its own personality, closely mimicking the generic layout and design of the X5 SUV and 5-series sedan. An optional 8.8-inch iDrive screen sat fat atop our test vehicle’s center stack, and BMW’s now-ubiquitous electronic-joystick shifter has been adopted.

Ride Can Still Get Harsh

The X3’s suspension consists of struts up front and a multilink rear. When equipped with the optional Electronic Damping Control shocks, the suspension (and various other chassis settings, such as throttle sensitivity) can be configured through the iDrive controller; quick adjustment is accomplished via a toggle on the center console that flips among Normal, Sport, and Sport+ settings. The ride is much better than what we recall from the previous model, although it isn’t exactly plush even in Normal mode. Given that, we’d recommend avoiding the sportier suspension settings and optional 19-inch wheels (18s are standard). In those modes, and even with our test example’s 18-inchers, the X3 still fairly clomps over frost heaves and pavement seams. We also found the new X3’s electric power steering a tactile letdown, heavy and artificial like the new 5-series sedan’s.

Curb weight has been kept in check in the generational changeover. Despite being larger and adding some new equipment, our 4211-pound, top-spec xDrive35i tester and its single-turbo inline-six weighed just 70 pounds more than the last naturally aspirated xDrive30i we sampled.

With eight automatically shifted gears—a manual is no longer available—and 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque on hand from its N55 six-cylinder, the X3 xDrive35i delivers strong acceleration. Our test results matched BMW’s 5.5-second 0-to-60-mph estimate, and power delivery is velvety smooth across the rev range, with only slight dips during otherwise unobtrusive gearswaps. The quarter-mile goes by in 14.2 seconds at 97 mph, with the firm, reassuring brakes halting the X3 from 70 mph in 165 feet. (The outgoing X3 xDrive30i was 1.6 seconds slower to 60 and 1.3 seconds slower to the quarter-mile post, but notched essentially the same braking figure at 169 feet.) The new X3’s acceleration and braking numbers are strong enough to outdo all the players in the aforementioned comparison test by a significant margin, including the Lexus RX350, Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4MATIC, and Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. (Unfortunately, an early December blizzard covered the high-speed oval and skidpad at our test facility, preventing us from measuring skidpad grip and top speed for now.)

You’d think the slow-moving winter traffic during our test might have helped our observed fuel economy, but we saw just 18 mpg. The X3 xDrive 35i is rated by the EPA for 19 mpg city/26 highway.

How Fancy Are Your Pants?

While the standard xDrive28i model (and its 240-hp, naturally aspirated 3.0-liter inline-six) starts at $37,625, our X3 xDrive35i wore a base price of $41,925. (For comparison, the xDrive30i was the only model offered in 2010, and it started at $39,725.)

From there, however, the bottom line for the vehicle tested here swelled to $55,100—more than a well-equipped X5 xDrive35i—thanks to options like the $3450 Premium package (Nevada leather, auto-dimming mirrors, 16-way power front seats, universal garage remote, and panoramic sunroof, the latter of which was absent on our pre-production vehicle), the $3200 Technology package (rearview camera, park-distance control, Bluetooth, and real-time traffic information), and the $1400 Dynamic Handling package (EDC dampers with performance control, variable sport steering). Our X3 also had the $1250 Sport Activity package (sports seats and steering wheel, sporty transmission programming, unique exterior trim with satin-finish roof rails), the $1150 Convenience pack (power liftgate, keyless access/start, rear window shades), and the $1150 Cold Weather package (heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, and the 40/20/40-folding rear seat). A premium audio system upgrade tacked on $875, while Mineral Silver metallic paint and smartphone integration added $550 and $150. Suffice it to say, no butt went uncoddled in this X3.

No 3-Series Wagon

The X3 looks fresh in its new duds, and the comprehensive overhaul keeps it among the leaders in its class. That said, a few of our main complaints have carried over: The new model still offers little value when laden with options, and while the back seat is larger, it could still be more accommodating. Of the newly introduced niggles, we expect BMW to continue tweaking the electric steering system’s programming until it delivers the feel and performance we’re used to in the brand’s vehicles. BMW’s own 3-series wagon offers better dynamics with similar practicality for less money—albeit with no turbocharged engine option—but in this SUV and crossover-crazed country, that’s largely irrelevant. And so those who look at wagons with scorn in their eyes and contempt in their bellies will largely be pleased with the new X3, which at least now feels like a contemporary BMW on stilts.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0