United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Talking A BMW X3 Towing a BMW in the Dirt - Camping Photos

Been a long time.... I'm back!

Here's a few photos of our new to us X3, hauling our bikes to some beautiful California camp spots. We're a long time BMW family, though it's been some years since I sold my 325 xiT manual, choosing to ride instead. Recently my girl's 330 with 160,000 miles on it started to become too costly to keep going we decided to get a vehicle better suited to our no kids adventure lifestyle. I was shooting for something a little more rugged, but she didn't want to give up that "BMW" feel while driving on tarmac. I can't disagree with her. With a few more additions this will be a great all around vehicle.

Enter the X3, a 2008 example that was a BMW salesman's company car, mint condition, low mile, right price. I ordered an OEM trailer hitch off ebay, installed it, bought a little trailer on CL, fixed it up, and off we go!
We've never trailer our bikes anywhere, always riding them all over North America, carrying our camping gear.... Now we have a Base Camp Vehicle for some of our Adventures, and most importantly, a cooler!.
I have to say, it's hard to even tell the trailer is back there, we averaged 20 MPG going 63MPH, about the same as if you divide our bike's milage by 2. SO far the X3 has been great at getting off the beaten path, eating up the gravel road miles with some deep sand and steep climbs to get out there with no problems. We're looking forward to this winter and Death Valley... the hell with the how wrong it is to trailer a BMW GS, we have a cooler... and chairs!

I hope you enjoy the photos of the X3 with various backgrounds, many more to come!

And for good measure....