Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Wait, you don't have x-ray eyes? I thought they were standard. Next you'll be telling me you don't hear people crying for help 100s of miles away.

Because the data displayed on the device is up to 6 seconds out of date (see bottom of the screen for when it was last updated), all you need to do is leave the phone in the armrest for a while and then quickly open it, at which point you'll likely see a reading from up to 6 seconds ago when the armrest was still closed.

I may have a bad cradle but the closed armrest / open armrest difference seemed very clear in my case
From your symptoms, I would be checking that the shark fin antenna on the roof is making a connection with the cradle (the dealer will be able to find out what the pin impedances should be and then measure them to see if it is internally connected).

If the antenna was not connected - then your iPhone would be using its internal antenna, which would be working fine with the armrest open, but attenuated when shielded by the closed armrest. (a partial Farraday cage effect)

All theory - would need to do impedance checks on the antenna connections to know for sure.

I never trust that an antenna is connected - my Toyota Kluger (highlander) came with a GPS, but the dealer managed to dissconnect the antenna twice behind the dash, each time was a long argument to get them to pull the dash apart to reconnect it. Even when the LCD display clearly did not show any GPS signal.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0