07-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy8400 View Post
Wow! Quite a response. Sfax, the db test is most interesting (and I will try it for fun) but looking at the bars is enough for me. I rest the phone on the cradle without snapping it in and look at the reading (bars on the phone). I snap it in and wait 10 seconds for resampling and see if there is a change, and there is none. I then move the car because there is always the possibility that the roof antenna is in a "dead spot" and moving would eliminate the variable.

I was once an active mobile ham radio operator before cell phones and had experience with vhf and uhf signals with both internal and external (roof & trunk) antennas and the external will always win even with the loss in the coax, which could be substantial at cell phone frequencies.

Just another conjecture - the signal didn't change either up or down. This suggests that it may never had really connected in the first place. The X3 brochure promotes the increased range as a benefit. Still not sure why it doesn't work as advertised. Even an increase from one or two bars to three bars will go a long way to get you a handoff to the next tower, reducing dropped calls. I'm pursuing this through my dealer as well. If I learn anything, I will post it here. THANKS all for your suggestions. - Andy

Yeah, I was hoping that an app could record the readings at intervals which would be much more useful and you (and others) could also use it as evidence to show the cradle wasn't working. I'm very sceptical about mine after seeing the effect of closing the armrest!

I don't know much about the technology but I can't see any kind of coaxial connection so I assume it's just done through the phone's shell?

Would be interesting to see more armrest test results. I mean surely if the phone is actually using the car's external aerial, closing the armrest should have no effect?!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0