View Single Post
      06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

There is no user access to the programming of the 12V. accessory outlets, and trying to hack the X3's code is probably a very bad idea.

You could always run your extension cable to the front outlet near the cup holders which is switched on when the engine is running and when the car is in "radio standby" mode. It switches off after 5 to 15 minutes when the engine is shut off, so won't run down the battery.

The 12V. outlet in the central compartment under the armrest is also switched off, but with a longer delay. I checked mine once after 30 minutes and it was still on, but after one hour it had shut off. It will go back on immediately if any door is opened. Not sure if it's switched off by a timer or if it shuts off when the battery drops to a predetermined voltage.

I haven't actually checked the one in the cargo area to determine if it really stays on or is switched like the one in the central compartment. It's not easy to check, because if it is switched, as soon as you open the hatch it will probably come back on. You need to connect a LED that can be seen with all of the doors closed.

I do know that each of the 12V. outlets is on a separate circuit and is independently fused.
Appreciate 0