Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
If I want to go off road I will take the original LR/RR and not the BMW pretender any day.
Exactly, you're going to buy the X3 or the Evoque based on appearance and on road performance. There's not enough to differentiate the two when it comes to off-roading ability. They both use awd setups that are geared more toward adverse weather conditions then anything else. Basically buy whichever one you like more, but don't think that one of the two is going to be significantly better if the apocalypse comes and you need a vehicle.
I'll explain the offroad/ onroad differences between the 2 as I see them.

The X3 has superior on road handling for a number of reasons. It has a longer wheelbase for a start which makes it a great tourer - it is relaxing at higher speeds and for greater distances. The dynamics are geared to steering the car around a corner safely and quickly rather than getting the car over obstacles, though it still does the latter reasonably well on graded roads. The X3 can make a bad driver decent, and a reasonable driver feel like Vettel when pushing on through bends.

The Evoque has a shorter wheel base by some margin, combined with an equal clearance or ride height. These combine to give the Evoque a 15% greater ramp over angle compared to the X3, approach and departure angles are similarly improved meaning that purely from the ability to clear obstacles the evoque is better to handle offroad conditions.

Both cars can ensure that power is delivered to the wheel with the most grip, most cars can these days. The X3 is targeted at trying to deliver drive evenly split between front and rear at all times - great for onroad driving. The Evoque has a terrain response system that changes throttle and transmission response depending on the surface for example allowing the engine to hold more revs at a lower speed - something the X3 simply cannot do. This is why the Evoque has a clear lead in offroad ability and CAN go offroad decently.

For the models I'm looking at - the base X3 20D or the SD4 Pure, acceleration times are identical though fuel consumption is quite different. Handling is obviously better onroad in the X3 but the Evoque is no slouch, certainly if you had a journey that was 50% on road and 50% offroad the Evoque will arive at the destination with a clear lead, but isn't going to lag too far behind the X3 around town - if at all. The shorter length gives it an advantage in parking for example. The cargo space with the seats down is near enough the same for our purposes - DINKs that like to drive to see stuff, go to the snow and go camping.
That means you look for more aesthetic differences which is down to personal preference. If I could get the X3 in a nice deep cherry red like the 3series I'd be all over it (vermillion just isn't a subsitute). Build quality is slightly ahead on the X3 I think but there is some question over the technology failing as we've seen.

All things considered, for me and my needs at least, it's a very even race.
Appreciate 0