Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
Thanks for the information so far!

Anyone try tapping into the fuse box? On my Cayman, I ran the power wire for the radar hardwire kit into the fuse box and wrapped it around a fuse that is only "hot" when the ignition is on (radar turns on and off with the car). My X3 is so new to me that I haven't even looked for where the fuse box is located though
You can certainly do it that way, but it means running some fairly long wires. The overhead panel method that Alanintx used is a much more elegant solution.

FYI:

The X3 actually has (2) fuse boxes:

FB Number 1 is in the right rear fender area just below the gas filler neck. It's accessed by removing the interior fiber panel and then rolling back the insulation blanket below. You probably don't want to run wires to that one.

FB Number 2 is behind the glovebox (WAY behind the glovebox!) There is a small removable panel at the back of the glovebox (right side on N.A. cars) that when removed will let you SEE fuse box 2. However, the opening is very small, so you must either use some long nosed pliers or have a small child with tiny hands change fuses through the opening. The alternate way (probably the only way for most of us), is to remove the glove box mounting screws for better access. There are several circuits there that will work including the 12v. accessory feed which is automatically switched off after the car has been parked for 10-15 minutes. (fuse 54)

Fuse location diagrams attached:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0