04-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #196
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer2974 View Post
Well, BMW was touting apps for car before the 6NR was "announced" and only the 6NF was listed for smartphone purposes, so naturally I ordered the 6NF, there being no 6NR. I suspect, as mentioned, that the cradle is only for charging and better antenna. If so, that is not smartphone anything and if I can't be upgraded, I should get my money back. Good luck, of course, but I don't mind bugging them to death. I'm also an EE/CS guy, so I can't imagine why they can't upgrade the 6NF if you have the other parts (Nav, Bluetooth, etc.). In fact, I would love to remove the cradle base since it's taking up half the storage area!
For the avoidance of doubt, 6NF is not the cradle, it's merely preparation for the cradle. It is more than just charging and antenna boost as I don't have 6NF and yet I do have both of these functions through my iPhone 4 snap-in adaptor. 6NR adds a USB interface to the phone through the cradle that you would otherwise be without. You can then play music on your iPhone whilst it's plugged into the cradle. You can't do this without 6NF. If you have 6NR too, the capability is increased still further. 6NF is only of any use in conjunction with a music or media snap-in adaptor.

Apologies in advance if any of this wrong. It's just my understanding of a difficult subject! I have 12 years commercial experience in IT, albeit software not systems, and find BMW's tech options bewildering so how anyone non-technical understands some of them is a mystery. The dealers seem to all be completely clueless. BMW UK don't know their arses from their elbows and regularly give out false information (refer to this thread)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0