View Single Post
      03-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #1351
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

WWL Tracking via VIN

Has anyone in the UK been able to track their vehicle via VIN on the WWL website recently?

I ask as I read on another forum that the processing (inspection and any remedial work) now takes place in Bremerhaven rather than Thorne (seems sensible) which would imply they make a stopover en route there for a couple of days. I can't see any VINs into Southampton on WWL site since mid last year.

What I have done as a workaround is used an expression in the search that matches all chasis numbers around mine and then looked at where they are - seems to be a lot of RHD 30ds on the way to Melbourne that were at port on the 6th March. My VIN is in the middle of those so I'm assuming it was in Charleston (roughly equidistant from Spartanburg) around the same date - inferring from that and the WWL schedules that mine is likely on one of 3 boats departing on or after the 6th.

The expression I used was:

WBAWY%LXXXXX% where XXXXX is the first five digits of your VIN number.

E.g. if yours ends L890005 you would search WBAWY%L89000% and get L890001 thru L890009 returned. You can then see where those cars are. Strictly speaking you don't need the final %. You could also do WBAWY%L88999% and WBAWY%L89001% for the 10 either side.

The WBAWY limits it to X3s (not sure if the chasis numbers increment for the whole plant inc X5 or X6 or just the line but this takes care of that) (WBA = BMW AG, WY = X3).

Interestingly it looks like they build in batches - around 50 cars either side of mine are all RHD 30ds (WY52s - you can get this code from Realoem.com, e.g. WY31 = LHD 20d, WY32 = RHD 20d, WY52 = RHD 30d, WY72 = RHD 35d etc).

Hope that helps someone pass the waiting time