10-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
This is what I was referring to when I say "Traction Control (DTC)". I know you recommended leave it on, but I'm still wondering if it makes sense to leave DTC on when going down steep snowy/dirt/gravel/muddy road where you might need more stability control than traction as it's downhill, unless it helps with braking traction which probably isn' the case. I was turning DTC on only for uphill in the snow and switching back to normal, DSC mode, when going downhill or faster on flatter sections. I really didn't like having to switch modes though and would prefer to leave DTC in snow and/or dirt even at higher speeds.
Just as long as you know BMW recommends that you touch nothing if you have any doubts, make any decision you want. Turn on Hill Descent Control if you're worried about steep grades, but if you're going fast that won't do you any good. In terms of downhill understeer, though, it may be worth your while to touch no buttons at all so that if you find yourself coming into a loose surface blind corner too quickly, the car will bite down for you, allowing you to concentrate on driving more. The assists are to be used at your own risk, but that's only because you reserve the right to endanger yourself in the event that a driving profile were to be selected erroneously. Maybe I'm still not answering your question...
Appreciate 0