View Single Post
      02-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #21
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordster View Post
I suppose you are right that in some places if snow isn't a big deal and there are massive temperature swings.

But if you live somewhere it snows often, and doesn't hit anywhere close to 60 in the winter, it's another story. If you actually drive in snow on a regular basis, having snows makes a huge difference.

You also forgo the benefits of real summer tires in the summer.

Also, thanks for the idea to store them. That might actually make good sense in the long run.
We don't get much snowpack during the winter, it'll snow in the morning and melt in the afternoon. I've had the A/S 3s in pretty heavy snowfall when I had to make an airport run for a friend and they did fine though.

Forgot to mention when storing them, if you're planning on keep the vehicle for a long time, it's doesn't make sense to store them. But switching out every 3-5 years, you don't have to worry about the rubber degradation, just put them in plastic bags in a temperature controlled environment and you should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian eh! View Post
245/45/19

All seasons over the sports, interesting. I also hear good things about the continental 5 ????
My Latitude Sports are sitting in the basement with roughly 100 miles on them, the A/S 3 is a better tire in every appreciable measure. Unless you plan on tracking your X3, I really don't believe you'd notice the difference between the performance of the Super Sport or the A/S 3, other then the Super Sport wearing out more quickly.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/01/22/bm...ot-sport-as-3/

Quote:
To be clear: the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 3 completely blew my mind through the autocross when stacked against stiff summer-performance tire competition. The Michelin shouldn’t have won – but it did, and by a good margin. Unreal. It was very un-all-season-tire-like; as the old adage goes, “put that in your pipe and smoke it.”
Appreciate 0