View Single Post
      04-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #70
ChessToon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mini Countryman 2.0SD All4 Aut

RR v Evogue

Before finally placing my order for an X3 I had seriously been looking at the RR. I had placed a deposit on one prior to release and got invited to the various reveal dates to see the car.
Upon initial inspection I was quite impressed by the car but obviously they were pre-production but fully spec'd. I kept the deposit on the car and waited to drive one before completing the order.
Once I had driven it I started to have doubts, comparing it with the X3 I didn't feel it was that special. I would say the 2.0d auto on the X3 is significantly better in refinement and performance than the 2.2d on the RR. VDC on the X3 lets it handle better on the road aswell. The only area of weakness being off road and I wouldn't be doing that anyway.
My dealings with the dealer also raised additional issues especially when considering the running costs of both cars.
Compare BMW's £350 for 5yrs servicing to RR's approx £400 to £500 per year. Then add additional cost of higher car tax, less mpg so despite the anticipated high residual values the RR would be a drain during ownership. I know that most would say if you can afford a £40k car why worry but I would rather not pay more than necessary.
The salesman however, contrary to others, was very helpful but had no answers to the issues raised over running costs and could only say "You'll be driving the most sought after car of 2011!".

Therefore I would certainly say the overall ownership package on the X3 will be better than going for the RR. I also think that the X3 is likely to have better residuals over time.
Appreciate 0