05-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
For what it's worth, I would disagree with that comment ("best to fill it before the gas runs out") - even when you almost run out of gas, the X3 keeps going - at least for the older X3s.

I ran the old E83 down to less than "20 miles remaining", well past the low fuel warning sign, several times. Once in particular I actually reached "2 miles remaining" (for the critics, I was on the State thruway, with no exits, and the state troopers closed off the only service center on that stretch)!

While I do not recommend anyone try this, I can say that at all of these times, there was no deterioration of performance or any ill-effects to the X3. I have no way to confirm the F25 will behave similarly (and I hopefully will never have to find out).
This doesn't help much ....

You can see "exactly" how much is in each part of the tank to 1/10L by going into the "secret" menu on the dash. The one where you have to enter part of your VIN

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0