02-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #45
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Saab is an interesting brand. I've never liked them (torque-steer mayhem) but have friends who, for a time, wouldn't buy anything else. These "Saab people" wanted a premium European car that wasn't a BMW or a Mercedes because "everyone has a BMW or Mercedes". They couldn't afford or didn't want a sports car like a Porsche and found Jaguar too stuffy. The same people weren't too fussy about handling dynamics either.
For them, a Saab was perfect.

I think that the brand has value if the niche appeal of the cars could be expanded. They tried this with the monstrosity that was the Saaburu, but the car didn't appeal to the masses. It was too obviously Japanese and was just a more expensive Impreza.

With careful market positioning, I think BMW could exploit the brand in the same way that it has done with Mini. Create a decent drivers car with a different personality to their other offerings and you would have a hit on your hands. It could even be FWD.