View Single Post
      05-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

We really get back to why the All-Season is the compromise. But here in Europe we don't seem to like ALL-Season tyres, we want top summer performance, so most OEM fitment is the summer tyre. In the UK we have got away with all year use of summer tyres for many years, but with more erratic winter weather (and summer), we can so easily get caught out.

Even up here in the Highlands we had several years of very mild winters, so many forgot the old winters, and more cars have the big summer wheel options. But get a normal, or colder winter and we have many more 'ditch' incidents, including AWD and the 'invincible' SUV.

My observation, it is not really the snow that catches most folks, (OK it brings the nation to a halt), but black ice. Summer tyres give so little safety, on black ice, too late if you hit a hidden ice pocket, which puts you off the road.

Personally I like a predictable drive, summer tyres are very temperature sensitive as they cool down, or get chilled by rain, so as an enthusiast driver they are really too variable in winter conditions anyway.

I illustrate using winter tyres on my car as it is like driving on a decent summer tyre, warmed up, and running in 20C ambient temperture. It is like that at virtually any winter temperature, so total predictability, even from cold and a similar road feel, every mile.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0