05-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
@ Highland Pete - Big thanks for pics and info

I have just got my X3 and was offered winter tyres and agreed to think about them. Dealer was not pushy and is happy to hold the price till october.

I have read up and was 75% sure it was a good idea but now I understand I have the P7 Summer RFTs Im going to go for winter ones. It cost no more (over time) other then the rims which also provide extended life as well. The braking performance alone means its almost a no brainer!

Got the BMW tyre insurance too - and this covers both sets so again thats sorted.
Sounds like you have it sorted, I'm sure you won't regret it, even without snow.

I've driven summer RFTs in colder temperatures and I hate the feel from the tyre, grip levels deteriorate and become unpredictable and the road feel/feedback is poor.

I had one experience on my winter tyres, when the car in front went out of control on black ice. I had to brake hard mid bend, something I'd never plan to do, as he spun around in the road and nearly turned over. I know for sure my E91 would have gone out of control on summer tyres, but the winter tyres gripped well, "bit of twitching" but I had control. They paid for themselves that morning, I'd have been 'ditched' among some trees, or worse.

I came home a couple of hours later and there was sand all over the road, tracks down over the bank. Some other poor soul had lost control and ended up in the trees, the road had just been cleared. I'd wager that guy never even needed to brake, but just lost it, confirmed how close I was to a possible write off.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0