View Single Post
      12-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #87
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmik View Post
Interesting thread. Like always, filled with 50% top gear guys who ALWAYS demand the best. And the rest of us who just live in the real world with budgets and compromises. This is how it works in Minnesota winters. On EVERY snowy day all winter your x drive, traction control, all season tire equipped X3 BMW will be easily up to the challenge. No problem. Of course you will STILL have to be an good driver, alert, tuned in.
i have a hunch municipalities and the state of minnesota do a pretty good job with plowing. my experience is that the more snow an area gets on a routine basis, the more geared up they are to plow it properly. it's the border regions that really have trouble - enough snow to create dangerous conditions routinely, but not so regular that local and state gov'ts are willing to budget serious money to deal with it properly.

another issue is local meteorological variation. before i moved to ct i never experienced an ice storm. they are a regular feature of winter here. at least once or twice a year you wake up to a world of beauty: every twig and branch glistens, coated with a quarter inch of ice. then you have to go somewhere...
Appreciate 0