12-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #72
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Ok, just to stir up this slightly derailed thread a bit ...
I see "snow tires" and "Winter tires" being used as if there's a difference. And, perhaps there is. If so, what is the difference? Same thing with winter wheels. Huh?

Keep in mind I'm from California, I don't live in snow territory, but can get to places that measure it in feet, not inches, in about 3 hours. Main roads are either plowed or closed. They use no salt, only sand on the plowed roads.

All-season with traction-aid devices (i.e. chains) is all I expect to need here, but you folks dealing with snow constantly ... what're the differences?
Faced with a similar situation (being in CA, and questioning the worth of dedicated snow tires), I chose to go with the best all-season tire, and keep two sets of chains in the back just in case. I tossed the factory LS2s and went with the Continental DWS, which was head and shoulders over other A/S tires in the Tire Rack's testing. Two sets of these fit in the cubby under the cargo area very neatly, and are there just in case I get snowed in somewhere where the DWS can't work and need them. I did a test fit, and they go on very quickly and easily. However, the first drive in snow leads me to believe the chains will never come out of their cases again. The DWS are an order of magnitude better than the LS2.

I did briefly consider a second set of wheels with Blizzaks, but it just didn't make sense - From SF to snow country is ~three hours, 2.5 of which is through the Central Valley.
Appreciate 0