View Single Post
      10-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
I have done an exhaustive amount of research on this topic but there is surprisingly little information out there. I'm an avoid mountain biker and will need a vehicle to support 3 bikes on a bike rack that connects to a hitch. Right now I have a VW sportwagen that does a great job holding 2 bikes, in the 1 1/4 inch hitch. To get to 3 bikes I need the 2 inch hitch. Apparently my local BMW dealer only sells the 1 1/4, but on etrailer.com, you can get a 2" hitch for the X3. We plan to buy the X3 next month after VW settles the buy back on the dieselgate scandal.

Has anyone here installed a 2" hitch on their vehicle? The installation instructions look pretty difficult so I'll likely outsource this to a shop (of course none of the local dealers will even install a 2" hitch since they aren't providing it).

Any input is greatly appreciated! I have a 1UP bike rack if anyone knows what that is (if you need a bike rack, this one is amazing!)
My girlfriend and I recently installed a Curt hitch on her 2016 X3 35i.

Here's a video from etrailer:

Use that video in conjunction with the PDF that I've attached from ISTAD Rheingold. This PDF is the factory instructions for all procedures (as well as pre-requisite procedures) and includes torque specs for every bolt and nut.

Tools that will make this job easier:
- Interior trim removal kit (Schwaben 11 piece master kit)
- Dremel for trimming plastic pieces (you will need to trim 3 pieces)
- Rivet gun (we did not have a rivet gun that worked. we used the 2 person method for install rivets and fortunately it worked)
- Cordless drill (speeds up installation)

Here are some pictures from the install my GF and I did:

Attached Images
File Type: pdf F25 X3 hitch install.pdf (926.9 KB, 679 views)
Appreciate 0