midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
DR,

I bought winter wheels to go with my winter tires. There is an excellent independent BMW shop near my office, which I am beginning a relationship with by having them do my seasonal wheel changeovers. I may also use them for supplemental oil changes. I definitely will use them if I choose to own my X3 after the warranty expires.

Dealers often offer storage for a fee. I have adequate space to store my extra set, so it's not a problem for me.

My local independent shop also offers wheel cleaning for a small price, so the wheels that I take home are clean.

I'm a wee bit uncomfortable that I don't have a good way to tie the wheels down when they're in-transit, and they sometimes slide around a bit.

There is obviously additional cost involved in buying a 2nd set of wheels and a 2nd set of TPMS. I justify it in a minor way by not having to have the tire/wheel setup Hunter Road Force Balanced twice a year, and by knowing that my BMW wheels will not be going on a tire machine operated by the latest minimum wage hire at my BMW dealer. (My local independent is a 2-man shop, both with gobs of experience.)

Anyway, those are my opinions. Yours may vary.
All of my past winter tires were on their own wheels and with tpms if vehicle was equipped with it. I suspect I won't be happy with the all seasons in winter and I'm going to hunt around for winter tires. I'll just have them mounted on the existing 18" oem wheels the vehicle comes standard with

Not ideal, but I don't think I'll be keeping this car at lease end. Am hoping they'll have some diesel x3's within the next 36 mos