MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
There appears to be an appetite for road test comparisons, which I am unable to provide based on a brief test drive. FWIW, I will provide some data from a source some may disparage, which diverges from that in much of the more automotive specialized media. Consumer Reports Magazine assigned the following road test scores: Porsche Macan S 85 points, BMW X3 28i 82 points and Jaguar F-Pace Prestige 72 points. I would have expected the F-Pace road test score to be superior to the X3 and much closer to the Macan based on other reviews. For those interested, Consumer Reports overall test scores were 76 for the Macan, 74 for the X3 and 60 for the F-Pace.

The Jaguar was the quickest 0 to 60 mph (6 seconds) with the Macan second at 6.4 seconds and the X3 handicapped by the 4 cylinder engine trailing at 7.3 seconds. These figures are slower than some other sources, so CR probably did not attempt a maximum launch. No X3 35i data is available from this source.

In the emergency handling test the X3 was at the top rated very good at 52.8 mph, with the Macan and Jaguar both rated good at 51.1 mph and 50.3 mph respectively. One might wonder if the X3 35i with the heavier front load would be as fast in this test as the 28i.

Both the Macan and X3 were rated very good in accident avoidance while the F-Pace was rated good. In routine handling, the Macan was rated excellent, while both the X3 and F-Pace were rated very good.

The Macan had the best brake stopping distances in 60 to 0 mph wet conditions at 135 feet compared to 138 for the X3 and 139 for the F-Pace. In dry conditions the stopping distances were close with the F-Pace at 129 feet and the Macan and X3 at 130 feet.

I confess that I am puzzled by the relatively low road test score for the F-Pace given the data points summarized above. From reviews in automotive publications, I also would have predicted that the overall score of the F-Pace would top the X3 28i handily and approach that of the Macan. CR clearly weights data differently from many publications.

Another puzzling non-road test comparison arises from the cargo volumes given by Consumer Reports. Most sources report the F-Pace has a generous cargo space and the Macan is tight for cargo. Consumer Reports reports cargo space of 29 cubic feet for the Macan and 28.5 cubic feet for the F-Pace, while the X3 was reported to hold 33 cubic feet. These cargo spaces differ from the manufacturer's specifications. Your measurements may vary.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 10-25-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0