View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #319
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Hi all,

I'm a very long time lurker (ordered my 30D M Sport in May 2011) and was checking this forum daily prior to that in order to learn as much as possible prior to purchase but today I felt I had to vent so I created an account and officially joined the forum. As fellow Aussies I felt you would sympathise with me on this one.

After waiting 5 months for delivery, after obtaining an incredible deal through BMW Melbourne (sorry can't disclose discount obtained), I finally received my new X3 30D M Sport 2 weeks ago. And I miss it so much. Why so? because as I type this it is sitting in Mr Gloss's awesome premises waiting to be very expertly rebuilt. Yep.....

Two days after taking possession of my new pride and joy I was stationary on Auburn Rd Hawthorn when a Holden Statesman behind me decided to go before the lights turned green. Fortunately the damage was only minor and the flexible rear bumper did it's job. However there was superficial damage and an insurance claim was made. But the car was basically 99% so I continued to drive it until the claim was processed and I could drop it off to Mr Gloss for Graeme's well know care. Then came the following Wednesday evening (8 days after delivery) when, whilst again stationery at an intersection, an L Plater on her first drive ever drove uncontrollably in to a round about in peak hour traffic, over the concrete divider and straight in to the right side corner of my new 99% perfect pride and joy. She didn't even brake! Fortunately the X3 did an excellent job of retarding her progress, preventing her from continuing on in to the power pole on the nature strip. Mind you, it took damage to the front right quarter panel, broken right suspension, wheel and tyre and dents down the driver and passenger doors to stop her progress. It was most fortunate that I was where I was as at no time during her parlay through the roundabout did she have her hands on the steering wheel or her feet trying to brake, so she was most grateful that I would make the ultimate sacrifice to prevent her from continuing further and possibly front ending a lamp post.

Did I mention she was driving a Jeep Wrangler with steel front panels which suffered almost no damage other than a slightly bent front right fender? Gee those off-roaders are tough little buggers! Of course it was a manual and she had no idea where the brake pedal was and I guess the boyfriend ( a nice guy actually) screaming at her to brake repeatedly, may have been better off teaching this nervous little wreck (didn't get an apology from her as she was cowling in the front seat in tears with her head still in her hands since she entered the roundabout) to drive somewhere like an abandoned car park or a paddock where she wouldn't ruin someone's very expensive new toy!!!

And there you have it. Oops, forgot one thing. After negotiating with BMW's rather attractive and well breasted accessories girl to only get the UV window tint and not the $3,300 paint protection package, I had taken it to Mr Gloss to have the black sapphire paint treated to the unbelievable (and better than almost all other products) G Techniq paint protection treatment (for 20% of the BMW cost and a much better product!)!

So on the day when a maniacal L Plater (did I mention she was also blonde? - no offense to blondes, but I'm sure you'll understand my angst) entered my life, I was just cruising home from work, admiring the quality of the ride, the excellent zenon headlights, the sound of the pro stereo system with my apple lossless recordings off the ipod, the comfort of the heated sports seats and just thinking how wonderful the paint looks on the bonnet and thinking how amazingly the water beaded on the day before as it rained. Yep, I was really happy. Particularly since I had to wait 5 friggin' months for the car to arrive!!! And now, thanks to some guy's insistence to teach his gf, who has never driven before, to drive his old manual Jeep Wrangler in peak hour traffic through narrow streets laced with roundabouts and speed humps, children's crossing etc I have to wait another month or two to get the car back again.

So I have enjoyed it for a total of 8 days and had two no-fault accidents at which I was stationary both times. Fortunately RACV are quite understanding and have been excellent. Particularly since I get to take it to Mr Gloss who is one of the best in Australia for BMW. I do trust it will come back perfectly as the car did not have a rattle or a squeak in it. Not one fault cosmetically or mechanically. Do you feel my pain?
Appreciate 0