03-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #35
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
1. The alloys; well, my experience with BMWs suggests that they tend to gunk up pretty fast. I'm always on the look out for something that keeps it from sticking as easily (Zaino is my current best friend). The performance of the brakes keeps me from whining too much.
Let me know if you find something!

Quote:
2. The 309 "center gap" is gonna be rough to clean once the surface starts letting junk adhere more easily. Hoping the narrow angle will reduce the impact of that space being more dirty.
Yup, I might buy something that makes it easier to get at these bits

Quote:
3. I had to use the step stool!! 5'-10". Damn genes.
- I'm glad I didn't buy an X5 or I would need one too!

Quote:
Re gears and lag. Could you really downshift your old car and get on the throttle faster than the delay of the auto doing the equivalent? From decision to act, to clutch (or manual syncro if you're on that), to gear shift, to clutch lift, to throttle application? Sometimes I think we tend to compare the last two bits and forget the rest. No?
This is a valid point but if I slowed down through the gears on my old 2.0T petrol manual, I would already be in 2nd and ready to floor it. At this point the old car outperforms the auto because it was instantaneous - it depends where you start the clock if that makes sense. Yes, the old car requires more work changing down beforehand.

It's really not a problem for me but I wanted to answer the question that Ant Man had posed.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0