View Single Post
      10-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5411 View Post
There are starting to be too many models in my opinion.

So to sum it up if I went to my local BMW dealer to buy a new BMW, I would have over 70 models to choose from.
Well, but its a bit of a stretch to consider each different trim package a seperate model in my opinion. I understand what you are saying, but for example, what is a 335i really, other than a 328i with the optional engine? It's only because of the way BMW names their products that they become seperate models.

When talking about truly different models, there are really only:

1 series
3 series
5 series
6 series
7 series

Z4

X1
X3
X5
X6

Granted, the X4, X2 (thanks for the reply on that, SCOTT!), Z2, will likely be added soon. And its true that the passenger car models comprise multiple body styles. But I still don't see a big issue here. Plenty of other manufacturers have large lineups and almost no one is discontinuing model lines. Instead, the big push in the industry is to create more specialized vehicles which meet the exacting needs of an ever more discerning consumer. BMW is only trying to stay ahead of the curve. I agree that there has been some suspicious overlap of late, such as with the 550xi GT and X6 50xi for example. But, for the most part each different model listed above offers its own distinct size, cargo space, utility, performance, seating, etc.
Appreciate 0