View Single Post
      10-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #115
tazmtl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

F25 2011 X3 3.5i - my personal winter solution

Hey everyone,

First off, I've been reading this thread for quite some time and after absorbing everyone's experiences, I'd like to share my results.

Thank you all for sharing such valuable information since BMW Canada is totally useless in providing us insight about their own products!

Here we go!

- Myth about 17" rims don't fit the 3.5i cause of brake clearance
I've attached a picture, they do fit perfectly fine! yes it 'looks' tight but the M6 Replika wheels do the job.

- Run Flat Tires
I don't see myself changing a tire in -20C winter days when on a road trip. I'm probably going to end up calling a tow service anyway. Therefore I decided not only to downsize to 17" but also get non rtf tires resulting in a bigger R giving me a lot more rubber to absorb shocks from hitting our lovely city potholes and better traction in icy conditions. Even if I bust a rim+tire the $ to replace is half of a 18"+rft. The cost is less than half of BMW's Service centers! installation & tax included!

Tire choice - Gislaved NordicFrost 5 (Volvo's choice of winter tires)
Tire size - 235/55R17 XL
Tire Rating -103T
Rims - 17" BMW M6 Replika

Please do let me know if you wish to go get your winter tires from the garage I used, because they went out of their way to prove to me that 17" are just FINE for the 3.5i.

Edited: Added picture after installation of the 17" for Winter 2012
Attached Images

Last edited by tazmtl; 07-02-2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Added new pictures
Appreciate 0