View Single Post
      05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

The 2014 X3 does have the latest iDrive computer (NBT) and Nav software. They come loaded with the latest 2013 map software. This is on every 2014 X3 as of start of production in April 2013.

The hardware has a faster CPU, more RAM, a bigger harddrive and a faster, more detailed (more pixels!) graphics card. I think the actual display hardware is upgraded, too.

I don't know about the cellular radio, but I suspect it is 3G. 3G requires more than just a new SIM card, but a completely different cellular radio technology.

The responsiveness to iDrive control inputs is snappy. Scrolling through menus is fast. Route recalculations (drove past the intersection) are quick and without complaint (no "please make a legal u-turn unless that is really the ONLY way). Neither my wife or I have a problem reading the maps. YOu can zoom in if needed to read side street names. Turns on the route are announced and displayed on the instrument panel (that window between the speeo and tach) along with arrows indicating directions with distance to turn.

Once I turned off Dynamic Routing (herb is dead on with that recommendation!), the directions seem as competent as any mapping program or GPS that I have used. DR receives traffic info over the cellular radio and automagically re-calculates the route. Kind screws up 'er mind, I think...

In the USA, MY14 X3 cars are coming with a 3-year subscription to BMW Cnnected Drive services which include the real time traffic updates, Pictures at Destination (from Panaramio and Google), real time Google info about POIs, news clips, weather and maybe a few other things (still exploring). The BMW Assist features of emergency call (ecall) for service, remote unlock and stolen vehicle tracking are included for a period of ten years (yup, 120 months). My auto insurance people give me a little discount for the stolen vehicle protection thing, so that translates into real spending money over the life of the vehicle.

Other countries may have different packages of services ... the HW and basic Connected Drive software capability that is built into the car is not worth a lot without the subscription services...

The basic navigation (minus the weather icons for distant locations, traffic information and enhanced POI information) is beuilt into the Sw that is pre-loaded. However, that goes out of date...

If you have a pre-2014 X3, I have read reports that upgrading the NAV maps/software really helps with resolving a lot of the routing issues and "destination in the wrong place" issues. It costs about $250 USD in the US for the latest update from BMW, but I have read on these forums that you can get it from other sources from a lot less money.