View Single Post
      02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
jknj
Rep
Drives: 12 x3 in Deep Sea Blue

Ok, so I have driven my 2012 x3 with premium sound for 8 months, and I drove a loaner x3 2013 with standard US audio for almost two weeks. I think this entitles me to a fair comparison. There is none. The standard audio was very disappointing. Very poor quality, much like my '05 x3 prior to the speaker upgrades. Little or no kick or snap. I use an IPod classic as a source in both case ( Sirius is crap). Premium has its issues, but when you consider the price includes the Sirius and one year of service, the real cost is less than $500, which is quite reasonable. It could be better, with my first request to improve midrange treble distortion, but overall, a bargain. I would easily buy it again. The graphic equalizer is also a much more flexible tool than the simple bass and treble controls. The overall sound is clearer, more dynamic, better bass, lower noise, less muddy, and just plain louder. The standard system has no ability to rock out, even with the windows closed. Forget it with the windows open. Unless you upgrade the standard speakers, which cost at least $200 or more if you do it yourself (probably way more) and a lot more if you pay someone else, the premium sound is a no brainier to me. Of course, one can wonder why the standard system is so poor in a $40K+ car, but that is a different post.
Appreciate 0