View Single Post
      02-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
rohan_b79
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw X3 xdrive35i

Bmw premium sound is very good

There is a lot of confusion as to who makes the actual head unit, and the amplifier and the speakers for the 2011 onwards BMW X3 with premium audio.

Some say its Harmon, but Harman webiste only lists the X1, the 3 series and X1 as the cars in which their products are featured.

Then some say its Alpine audio, as I have seen one photo of the head unit bearing its name , but that could be for the standard audio system and not premium. Not sure!

Whoever the parts supplier is not know, but what is known for sure is that a Swedish company called Dirac is providing an amazing self-tuning software, that makes any speaker system sound like 1000's of dollars worth. They call it Dirac Live. This small company so impressed BMW that they threw away more expensive audio brands and incorporated it in most of their models. Even Bentley and Rolls royce use Dirac, as can be seen from Dirac's website. Bently features a NAIm sound system again with Dirac software.

So all you fellow BMW X3 drivers should feel very happy about what we have from BMW is the very best and much better than what wannabe BMW copycats like AUDI offer in Bang & olufsen. Even B&F worked with Dirac to get their software for the new BMW 6 series coupe.Basically today if you don't have Dirac your system is just ok and not great.

I was always impressed with my X3 premium system and launched a massive search on google, because every lyric could be discerned so well and I had never felt that before in any other audio system. Its a great system, worth every penny spent, and you only realize that once you feel the difference. I have posted my findings to help fellow BMW afficionados.
Appreciate 0