View Single Post
      04-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #68
Papa Smurf
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Finished installing the pump on our '11 X3 35i yesterday so will share my thoughts on it.
Cost of the pump $458.49 + 3.78L of coolant $21.73 + $.99 distilled water This represents the single most expensive part I have ever replaced on any of my vehicles in the last 25 years (X3 is our 1st BMW)
I did not change the thermostat per this youtube video:

The job looks harder than it is, the worst part of the job for me was getting at the pump as the only way to disconnect the hoses is to unbolt the pump from the engine block and the thermostat and then move it back towards the firewall and loosen the hose clamps from below. Then the fun part of separating the hoses from the pump by squeezing your hands through tight spaces to grab the hose while hanging on to the pump. The only other part that gave me trouble was to disconnect a cooler? from the fan shroud which is bolted with one T25 screw and slides vertically into a slot in the fan shroud. The rest is fairly simple, removal of parts in order to have enough space to remove the pump.
The procedure posted here is a great help although way too detailed to be followed to the letter.
It took me about 4hrs+ to do it and I used car ramps to get bottom access and a ladder to get top access.
Thanks to all the people who posted here with their findings I used your info. to prepare for the job ahead of time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Papa Smurf; 04-09-2017 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: added pictures
Appreciate 5