10-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #50
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
I've tested both systems (x-drive + quattro) in extreme dry conditions and it's not like the x drive has better gripping power than the quattro... both cars grip and will get you out of real world situations about the same but the major difference I found was:

X-Drive responds MUCH MUCH quicker than quattro does. It also responds more smoothely and thus does a better job at keeping you on the intended path.

Example: You enter a ramp with 1ft of snow on it at 30 mph. You lose traction with both cars, but BMW reacts in 0.5 seconds, and Audi reacts in 1 second. That 0.5 second difference is HUGE and very scary when you are facing a metal barrier because even when the system intervenes, it still takes a while for the car to grab a bite at the road.

As far as going uphill on a slippery surface and such, again, I think both are equally good given real world situations. The only advantage that x-drive has is that it will react quicker if a wheel slips while going uphill which will keep you moving better and more on the intended path.

As far as this video goes:

BMW found a flaw in Audi's system and they are making a fool out of them.
If Audi finds a flaw in BMW's system, I'm sure they would do the same.
It's fair game.
Tires and ESP don't have anything to do with this video. Both cars are equally equipped...that's just how the quattro behaves in those situations.
It's rare for that to happen, but IT IS a flaw. Period.
i think that's the most pertinent opinion i read on this thread so far!! i guess you are right !!
Appreciate 0