View Single Post
      07-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #2154
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post
Unfortunately when I was in the market to place the order the dealer only had one X3, a 2.0d base spec car. No other local dealers had 3.0d's either so I had to make the decision to buy based on a test drive of the 2.0d. Not ideal but the reality of the demand and supply situation then.
Yes perhaps I should have spent more time on the interior but as a long term BMW customer I took this for granted as I have never experienced any quality issues before.
It is always a compromise when buying a car, I initially looked at the Evoque but was put off by a bad experience with the LR dealer(this seems to be common) and poor engine choice. Looked at Q5 but although excellent build quality had inferior engines/dynamics compared to X3.
If you read the post I did not say that the car is rubbish, it is class leading in certain areas eg, engines and handling and has been well reviewed by the motoring press.
But it is not a premium product inside the car, perhaps if you are coming from a cheaper car it looks ok but as a long term BMW owner it is a step backwards in quality. Ok it is an improvement on the previous X3 which was rated as one of the worst BMW's in many respects.
With most other manufacturers seeking to improve their products it is a shame that they have sought to cut costs and quality in this area as it spoils the overall ownership experience.
Just 2c from the other part of Europe - I currently drive e60 (for the last week) 6 cilinder inline petrol engine and when I test drove F25 a couple of times (last time before ordering it) I was impressed by F25 interior "quality" (not sure that you actualy mean by this word, therefore I put it in between the quotation marks). One issue that is not so clear to me is quality of leather when I compare it to my current car (and I am only talking about the appearance, as I do not have my new car yet) - the leather interior and its' general condition in my 7 years old 5-serries is very good. There is one F25 in my work's garage and the leather indeed looks a bit 'flat', if I may say so - it is not as puffed-up as in my e60, but as such I am not in a possition to say that it is of inferior quality compared to my current car - it just looks (that f25 has standard seats) that leather was put straight on wood/plastic frame with not enough soft material in between. But this does not say better or worse quality. All other aspects of cabin appearance is much, much better in F25 than in E60, IMHO.
Could you be more specific what do you mean by "quality"?

Last edited by mooney058; 07-25-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0