Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
2012 x3 35i with 60k miles original owner. Already fixed the oil filter housing gasket in 2017. From dealer, oil pan gasket started to leak last year , and now valve cover gasket. Dealer wants 1800+ for oil pan, 1200+ for valve cover.
I plan to get a new X5 45e this winter, but still prefer to keep this x3 for second car ( as it runs great except for the oil leak). Do I need to fix both leaks ( I always keep an eye on the oil level. Maybe add 1 Liter every 5K miles)? Or if I do have to fix , which one takes priority? I feel valve cover gasket might be more critical as the oil can potentially damage the engine, while oil pan gasket might leave as is? What's the fair price to fix these? Thanks.
Valve cover gasket would be the priority but both would be fixed ideally.

The VC will leak onto the exhaust and burn oil/smoke/smell. It will also eventually leak into the spark plug well and in extreme cases could cause a misfire due to the plug being submerged (shorting out the plug).

If you're getting the VC gasket replaced it's a good idea to replace the valve cover as well (400-500USD, includes the gaskets). They crack at high mileage due to excessive heat cycling making them brittle. The PCV is also integral and the valve is known to eventually tear requiring a new cover anyway. In many cases covers crack or get damaged when being reinstalled since they get brittle. For the above reasons it's best practice to just replace it since it will need replacing eventually - at least if you want to keep the F25.

The valve cover labour seems on the high side but the oil pan requires the subframe to be dropped. Both are labour intensive but the pan much more so.

VCG replacement DIY on an F15 (nearly identical) if you're interested in the DIY route:

Last edited by 6MT_Addict; 07-28-2020 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 3