07-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've moved from a lifetime of M cars and the last M3 to the X3 3.0D M-Sport, and I have to say all in all I am very happy with the X3.

I rarely miss the M3 to be honest, the acceleration sometimes, but only when I need to overtake a load of cars behind a tractor, otherwise the midrange torque is more than ample.

Handling.. well its a bigger car and not a roadhugging sports coupe, so its not going to be as good.. it handles uneven road badly, rattles and bumps, so I tend to drive around parts of the road I know are not quite right to avoid it. Steering as mentioned, isn't as sharp, but can't say I've really noticed a loss in road feel, not as exact as the M3 but its not bad for what you are driving.

Build Quality - Not sure what plastics you are referring to, but the quality of the interior is as good as the M3, standard BMW stuff really, and its tidy and well built.

Fuel.. the main reason for changing.. I've just gone over 8500 miles, and I'm averaging 37/38 Mpg which I love.

Can't really think of any things about the car that really disappoint me, I'm very happy with the switch.

Sure, I'd love to have the M3, or the 1MCoupe in the garage for fun, but today.. the cost of running them and the lack of fun on the roads these days, means I don't miss the M3 overall.
Appreciate 0