Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Rich4
I read your post - thanks. That's one of the reasons why I'll be spending at least 6 months is cheap cars. I think the X3 needs to be compared to other SUVs and not to the traditional BMW sports saloon / coupe, else one will feel short changed. Though BMW should have done a better job with the electric steering before moving from hydraulic. I've sent BMW UK plenty of mails on this subject
Let us know what you decide. You may be right that a comparison to other SUVs is more relevant, but I doubt its only the car type (body) that is the issue here. I firmly believe it’s the result of latest electronic technology which allows tweaking from the norm, so they dumb down the performance of the component (steering, throttle, whatever) in pursuit of improved ‘environmental’ dynamics, but then allow a ‘boost’ which effectively brings it back up to the original design requirement, but at the end of the day it misses something in the process.

I recently drove a Merc SLK 350, a great machine, it too had various ‘modes’ but I found much of the road feel and general drive experience I recall from my racing days, was not there.
Appreciate 0