View Single Post
      04-04-2024, 09:04 AM   #13
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledax3 View Post
A bit new to X3's. But NOT BMW's. I just picked up a 12 X3 28i Xdrive. Only 68K miles.
Is this really a thing to be worried about on a 2012 model ????

Seems like BMW might have issued a TSB on this if it was or is a real problem.
I am a BIG time PM kind of guy, dont like to be surprised !!!!

800.00 for a new shaft is a big chunk !!!!!!

Can the OEM shaft be modified with one new end with a longer spline area ??????

Has anyone here had a blowout and major damage to their T case or trans ???
What kind of miles ????
I need to know more info on this so I can keep an eye out if this is a problem with my new to me X3 !!!
I do NOT need a blowout to cause major damage !!!

Please keep us all informed more on this issue ! Thanks.... D

Oem shaft cannot be modified because ujoints are staked , very few shops can restake , also oem ujoint is unavailable in usa, only chinese versions. Uj that is used in my shaft features larger caps and is a little wider than stock. As for the cost, goal was to stay in the ballpark of the oem shaft, because custom yoke mold was required and a hefty downpayment and a bulk order were a driveline shop conditions to undertake this project. I had an x5m owner stated the same thing a few months ago, what was even worse is that i had his shaft alreabuild but he backed out side he wanna wait, a few weeks later his shaft made a hole in the transmission and cracked the tcase, it took him 2 months and around 8k to get back to the square one and he got my driveshaft once he had all the parts to go back in. Sadly it can either be 800 or 8800, but i also seen many x5/x3 ride with 150k miles and do just fine.
Unfortunately seems that x3 crowd has less people working /modifying their vehicles, so less people spend time or report on the forums to share experiences or solutions. X5 groups post about once a week about broken driveshaft , the splined section is same as x3, tcase is same as well i believe.
Appreciate 0