View Single Post
      05-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The steering feels very natural to me. I don't notice the ratio changing and can always aim the car where I want it to go and it goes where I expect it to based on the input (if that makes sense). It is different than previous hydraulic systems, but the ratio bit seems great to me. I'm very used to the electronic system now. I don't think it provides the same type of road feel, but as I've learned it and the car itself I find it works well.

Regarding the Dampers, to my view your question mixes a couple of issues. It's a sporty car so sharp speed bumps will always be clunky and perhaps a bit more clunky that a vehicle with a luxury tuned suspension. It takes on "low speed" speed bumps with amazing grace. Can probably go over those 15 mph faster than I could have in my 330i with the same comfort level.

Rough road has to be broken in a couple categories for me in describing the ride. Washboard gravel roads (real washboard, not just the early ripples) are no problem. The suspension tunes those out to an amazing degree -- it's number two on the list of things about this car that just make me giggle a little. It's comfortable slow or fast, control remains, and I've been able to cruise along much faster than in my previous 4Runner (not that that car is a good comparison, but it was AWD and intended to tackle some rougher roads). Stopping on gravel is also excellent.

Rough road in terms of something like a serious of potholes or other surface with a lot of sharp edges is different. There the sport nature of the vehicle is apparent and in my experience you won't get those things tuned out to the degree you might in a more luxury tuned vehicle or a US truck. For me, that's okay as those kind of roads are rare for me and the rest of the time the sport suspension gives me the feel and performance I prefer.

Day to day with the more normal variations of US roads -- texture, small seams, and the like -- I think the suspension with DDC performs great. Guests in the car comment on the ride, which I found surprising. It's still sporty so I expect a reaction more like how folks reacted to the 330i -- "Is there actually a suspension in this thing??" -- but they seem to find it very comfortable.

Another test are the dogs. They get tossed about far less in the back of this car than in the 4Runner.