View Single Post
      05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #34
nuthatch
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i gray

Steering clunk at low speed turns

Do other X3 owners feel the clunking/shuddering at low rpm turning is just an "idiosyncrasy"?
When I asked BMW service to look into this problem on my 2011 X3 xDrive281 a month ago, the technician wrote:

"This is normal operation, as the torque needed to propel the vehicle with the steering wheel at full lock is greater than with the wheels straight, and the motor is operating at idle, its lowest rpm. This combination of operating conditions causes a 'hiccup' of acceleration as the rpm of the motor tries to compensate for the increased torque demand."

Saying it's normal and explaining it that way seems like BS to me. I didn't buy the car new, but at 20K miles there were NO symptoms of this problem; the low rpm turning clunking started at around 25K miles and has grown worse ever since. I'm sort of used to it, but passengers wonder what's wrong with the car. The BMW technician wrote that he checked out components of the front suspension and motor mounts and found nothing wrong. That's great, but it still feels like an awful lot of pressure is being put on some component that won't hold up for much longer.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I thought this issue should be revived. What options do we have? (Aside from grilling the technician when he's on his lunch break.)
Appreciate 0