01-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordster View Post
Congrats!!

I'm curious what "better camera" you are after? Do you mean the integrated unit around the rear-view mirror? And how would it be better? I'm just curious because I also ordered the Premium Package Enhanced (although not ARTII) and I could add the same feature for $300... Although thinking about it as just showing the speed limit seemed like a waste of money.
There are two cameras that BMW uses, one is inside the cabin, attached to the back of the rear view mirror facing the road, it only works for high beam assistant as it is not fast enough to capture colours and details etc for signs or for lane change markers etc. if you only order high beam assistant, my understanding is that you get this one. The second camera is integrated into the rear view mirror attachment to the windshield, ie the camera is sealed in directly under the glass. It has far more resolution and speed and can be used of for all the fancy driver assist features, including speed limit info.

I could not get anyone to confirm if the x3 defaulted to the newer Higher res camera for every feature regardless, but on the f30 at least, the speed limit info gets the more integrated camera as it can do multiple things. I prefer the look of the more integrated camera. Whether it functionally is " better " for its purpose, I am not sure. For $350 I decided to add speed limit info and hope that gets me that camera.
Appreciate 0