View Single Post
      10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #36
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

ings, when you browse your library via the iPod Classic, is it pretty fast? The reason I ask is because I decided to try something similar except I opted to buy a massive USB flash drive for storing my entire library and leaving it connected to the USB port. The problem was that it took forever to initialize and slowed down any kind of track navigation. I would click the 'next track' button and then it took several seconds before it did that... Even more problematic was that as long as the flash drive was connected, it also slowed down browsing my iPhone (which always contained my more new acquisitions) and made loading album art a very sketchy thing.

I'm guessing that iDrive is trying to index the contents of the flash drive and when you have 60+ gigs of tracks loaded this may take longer than my entire trip to complete. I have been considering the iPod classic route myself but haven't pulled the trigger on it quite yet. I bet that iDrive just relies on the iPod to handle the data management and just squirts out API calls so it wouldn't suffer from the lag issues.
Appreciate 0