09-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #27
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Word of warning to those considering upgrading: my wife's iPhone 5 was down to 8% charge and it wouldn't charge or be seen as a device in iDrive. The charge icon flicked on and off a few times and it never appeared in iDrive as an external device. Switched to my iPhone 4 and it was immediately recognised as an external device and started charging correctly. I paired the iPhone 5 for BT Audio and that all worked ok but using the lightning cable it was invisible - oddly it did charge from the glove box ok. Will try it again when it's fully charged
Wow, interesting..

Using the lightning cable my iPhone5 does seem to charge and it does show up as an external device (and bmw apps, etc). But if I have it paired for bluetooth audio, it will get disabled once I connect it to the usb port. Not sure if these results are because the port was retrofitted. I don't believe it affects the bluetooth telephone connection, but I got a message on the screen telling me that the bluetooth audio function was being disconnected due to the USB audio connect (which doesn't fully make sense to me since the audio is delivered by my iPhone to the car via the 1/8" jack (as I describe below).

Since I use a different phone for the bluetooth phone feature, this didn't pose an issue for me.

Btw, I was able to resolve the audio issue of coming out of the iPhone instead of the sound system by connecting the headphone jack to the console 1/8" jack. Those BMW Apps that have audio now come over the car sound system so I am very happy now.

Last edited by JSY; 09-29-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0