09-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Do you have a retrofit without 6NF? i.e. no cradle and 6NR only via the Y cable? I think you'll have to wait for an updated Y cable. Not sure but I would think they will become available long before the official BMW media adaptor (which took 1 year for iPhone 4)
Yup, that's right.. I'm hoping that the adaptor will then be pin by pin compatible with the Y cable so that it will still provide the analogue audio through the Y cable's 1/8" jack. I read that that is what the adaptor is supposed to do -provide analogue audio (but not video) from the digital lightning port. I read an article that sounds promising:

"BMW spokespeople made it emphatically clear that owners will still be able to listen to music, podcasts and other audio over the built-in stereo, along with accessing BMW Apps and Mini Connected features using the combination of the new Lightning adaptor fitted to the existing 30-pin connector and the duo of USB and 1/8-inch audio jack supplied by both BMW and Mini. So yes, the tunes will continue to flow, but the automaker's PlugIn feature – enabling video playback while stationary and the mirrored Apple interface – is officially out."
Appreciate 0