View Single Post
      05-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

BMW likes to phrase things in such a convoluted and sophisticated way for two reasons:

1. They want to make you think the option is extremely special, therefore rare and better than every other option. This makes you think that your car is then better and possibly worth more than someone else's car that has one of the non-special order colors.

2. They want to confuse you to a point where you do not understand what it is that you are choosing. You think you need it because "if it's noteworthy enough for BMW to have to tell me about it, then I should probably get it." But in reality, it is no better or worse than any other choice, just different.

The special order concept is a marketing ploy. BMW will pick colors that people typically might not order--colors that require an "acquired" taste--and say that you can only get them if you order them and your dealership cannot order them unless you request that they put you on a special order list.

The words "special order" mean the same thing as Build-Your-Own. The only difference is that you have to really really like the color, AND they want to ensure that the dealerships don't order a fleet of cars with the special colors only to find out that not as many people want them as statistics based on individuality and exclusivity factors might assume.

Those colors require no more "special consideration" than any other colors or options you order.
Appreciate 0