View Single Post
      01-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #48
Niti
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Of course, a software "switch" to disable all accessory loads, and to force the battery to a full charge could be implemented, but would probably never be used by 95% of the owners. It would require some foresight by an intelligent owner, since it would probably have to be put into the "full charge" mode a week or more before parking the car to insure a full charge (depending on driving patterns). It's also not quite as simple as just a software change, since some of the stored engine trim parameters are contained in volatile memory (one of the “always-on” electrical loads) and would be lost if power is removed triggering a period when the engine is re-adapting. Sure, they could switch to non-volatile memory, or they could put a switch in to disable the “ED” system entirely and go back to 2009 technology, but would then have to take a 3 to 5% “hit” on the corporate EPA economy figures which would be intolerable for a company the size of BMW.

Personally, since new, I’ve never left the X3 parked for more than a week without connecting a smart charger, and I do the same for all of my vehicles. It costs almost nothing and takes all of 1 minute to connect it, so for me, and I suspect the vast majority of owners, it’s a non-issue.

As always, the picture of owner "problems" presented on any Internet forum is extremely biased and is not at all representative of the vast majority of owner’s experience. I'd wager that MOST X3 owners will never have a problem starting their cars and will never be aware of any battery related issues.

I don’t think the fact that the battery is a weaker spot today than it used to be, should be neglected because it only affects a minority. People living in urban areas often don’t have access to garage with individual power outlets, so a trickle charger is not always the solution. And charging with an open hood isn’t an option always either.

At least in Europe, many new buyers with purchasing power fall into this category. And the same category tends to commute more frequent with mass transit than people living outside cities, i.e using the vehicle on weekends rather than daily etc. Of course BMW wants this segment as well.

There are a few things that could be done, that each of them or in combination, would provide more comfort for some owners. And of course the majority isn’t affected at all.

- A software switch for BER (e.g with iDrive), as mentioned
- A software switch for “minimal battery discharge” (e.g. car has to be opened manually, maybe only alarm working), as mentioned
- To be able to see the already existing battery percentage indicator on the X3 instrument panel (e.g with iDrive), that currently only shows in transport mode. This way you don’t have to buy a separate voltage meter and translate the current value depending on temp etc to a battery percentage (as provided by Lotus)
- To be able to buy an optional solar panel roof top that would serve as an trickle charger. More $$$ for BMW + happier clients. Doesn’t Toyota have this for some models?
- Persistent memory for vital vehicle data, so it's not lost if battery dies
- etc

There is no such thing as a “bad” driving pattern, only different. And the vehicles should be, and probably will be in the future, flexible enough to cater for different driving pattern segments. After all, isn’t that what clever market economy is about? Thanks

Last edited by Niti; 01-31-2012 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0