View Single Post
      07-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #51
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
31.000 miles in 3 years... well that's proof that the UK is in need of a petrol engine for the X3.
In my opinion, the fuel consumption is rather unimportant with such low mileage. 38,9 mpg or 30 mpg.... who cares.
Totally agree, and crazy decision by BMW UK, but then Mercedes and others seem to make the same decision too, no longer offering petrol.

30mpg = £34 week.
40mpg = £45 week.

In a car that is loosing around £350-600 (age) a month does an extra £10 a week really matter?

Our 20d xDrive is returning just over 41mpg average, that is calculated, the OBC was showing just under 43mpg. I keep meaning to calibrate it to get it more accurate, but approx. 1.5 mpg out is not bad.

Mine has a CRD-T+ box on it, and since fitting that the mpg has slowly got better, it was sitting at just under 40mpg average, but it is creeping up. The last tank saw 590 miles, and I only got 62 litres in so 44mpg average (obc showed 45.something).

I will be honest and say, although the X3 is a very nice car, I don't feel any love for it, I thought it may be the 2 litre diesel, so I managed to borrow a 30d xDrive Sport the other day, and the MPG was quite a bit behind, just nipping around where I would see 39mpg in the 20d easily it was showing 33, and on a long run it was showing 38mpg where I would be getting 47+ easily.
It was however, on 19" 275 tyres, which probably gobbled up to 10% economy wise.
I have a set of 19" M-Sport wheels sat at home, I will try them and see how much difference it makes on the X3. I haven't put them on yet as I think I may be selling my X3 on. But know if I do I will probably regret it as soon as it has gone , hence why it is still here at the moment.

I can't think of a single thing it does wrong*, in fact it does everything brilliantly, but just got no enthusiasm for it all, it was the same with our F11 5 series, did everything so well, but never excited, so sold it and bought an E350 estate, and knew straight away I should have kept the 5 series.

*Actually, the bolster has a stupid arch in it which digs into my arse when my wallet is in my pocket.

I am in Spain at the moment and using a 1.25 Fiesta, and the petrol engine in that is a joy. So refined and even sounds nice when you get it to 6000rpm.
Makes me think a small 1.4tfsi A3 Sportback may be a nice car to have for nipping around in and then buy a Range Rover or Disco 4.
Appreciate 0