09-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Initial thoughts of my X3 3.0D M Sport (UK) (So far)

Day 11 of my X3 3.0D MSport ownership and I thought I would post up my thoughts so far..

A bit of context behind my choice.. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to drive M cars for the most part for the last 15 years or so, so I have really been spoilt as far as performance and handling in BMW. However the cost of running such cars, fuel, UK roads and the increase in speed cameras and reduction in speed limits everywhere has really made M cars more of a second car for fun, if you can afford them. So, at the end of my 3 year lease on the current M3 I had to find something that could meet my requirement to cut my motoring costs in half and still keep me happy on the road.

Initially I had looked at the X1 and had thought it was something quite nice. After arranging a test drive, I was waiting in the dealer and ended up sitting in the X3 in the showroom as well as the X5, and then asked to also drive the 3.

Having driven the X1 with the 2.0D engine I couldn’t believe how sluggish and cheap it felt, and started to worry that the 2.0D engine really wasn’t going to be up to what I wanted. I then changed into the X3 with the same engine and couldn’t believe how different they were, it was night and day and the engine felt so much more responsive that I thought I could actually easily live with it.

So I ordered.. and waited. During the wait the 3.0D M Sport came out so I changed my order without having driven or seeing it because I just felt the extra performance would be something I would like, and I would end up regretting getting the X3 with a 2.0, and I liked the more aggressive look of the M Sport.

Anyway.. the one worry I have had all the while waiting for the car was that I would get it, like it but not quite feel happy about changing and end up regretting something.. however I have to say since the minute I have got it I have loved it. Both in looks, interior, handling and the performance of the 3.0D engine.

Switching between normal and sports mode suspension I have to say that I have both the option of old man comfort where I can really relax (more than I have ever done in any M car) and when I want a more spirited drive with no roll and good handling, the Sports suspension really fits the bill perfectly. When in sports mode the car really feels almost like the 3 series, it doesn’t feel bit or cumbersome ever and I get a grin when driving it.

Currently I am playing the game of how much I can get out of one tank without hammering it. BMW publish figures of just under 50Mpg, I took that with a pinch of salt and had told myself if I could upto 40 on a long run I would be very happy (Coming from around 22 on the M3). So far this week, I am averaging 39Mpg, with one day getting 41, but ill take it over the whole tank, and I do appreciate it is still new and may take some miles before it will get much better.

The reaction from people with the car has been very positive, has gone down very well. Had some passengers in the back for the first time this weekend, and without prompt was told how comfortable it was in the back, so much room and was it my driving or the car handling that they didn’t get thrown around which was good to hear since I never get to spend time in the back.

The things I love about this car;

Upgraded sound system.. by far and away the best sound system I have had in any BMW, fantastic sound that just keeps on giving.
Look, handling, power delivery and comfort
Interior.. just feels like a top end BMW

Things I don’t like..

Nothing.. Not once have I had a doubt that I made the wrong decision, this seems to be such a fantastic all round vehicle. I’ve never had so much room in the back to stick my crap.. it doesn’t feel too big or too small..

I would go as far to say I think that bar the M3 CSL, this is probably the best BMW I have had from an all round package / economy scale / feelgood.

I can see me keeping this for a good few years, or maybe until the X3M comes out where temptation may be too much (or X4M)

I’ll write another report after quite a few more miles.. but so far.. well done BMW.. still the best cars out there in my view.
Appreciate 0