10-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #99
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas12 View Post
At the same time I still don't know (and probably no way to tell yet, until we have more people posting comments about their 2012 X3 experiences) whether the BMW fixed it for all 2012
I agree Jonas. I held out until 2012 in hope that some of the commonly reported issues were addressed. Here's a summary of my experience so far:

I haven't noticed any rpm fluctuations on start-up idle in the last week, so unless it's temperature dependent (only happens in very cold temps which we haven't had yet) I think that has been addressed. Someone mentioned that BMW is about to release a software update to address this so I'm assuming the 2012's include this update.

My biggest concern was getting flooding or having the window/sunroof controllers fail which have been reported a lot. So far so good.

The forums also mentioned the car sounding louder than it should due to missing or improperly installed plugs in the torque converter. No issues there. The car runs a little on the louder side for the first minute and then quiets down a lot. The exhaust system has 2 paths for exhaust to take. The direct path is louder. I'm assuming it is going direct during start-up and once the system warms up it switches to the quieter path, switching back to direct only under heavy throttle.

I still haven't detected any excess wind noise. A little wind noise at high speeds that I think is coming from the roof rails, otherwise no problems.

Initially the doors required a lot of pressure to shut. The gaskets/seals have been loosening up. The front doors now shut without requiring much force. The left rear door has improved while the right remains tight. If anyone else gets theirs and thinks the doors need too much force to shut, give it several weeks, seems to get better on it's own.

My current issues/wishes are:
- Improved/smoother throttle response in normal mode
- Some rattles. I think most of the rattles are the window shade & slide-out cargo cover. The only one I can't identify is coming from the sunroof control section in the headliner.

I plan to apply another layer of sealant when the weather improves. Two more layers should provide the depth/gloss I'm looking for.

Detailing Supplies

General Supplies
- Microfiber cloths (for buffing)
- Foam applicator pads (Blue & White) (for applying polish/sealants)
- Waffle Weave cloth (for drying)
- Wheel brush
- Tire gel applicator

Wash
- Chemical Guys Citrus Wash (For initial wash to remove oils/contaminants
- Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner (General washing)

Tires
- Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (Flat black, no high gloss)

Wheels
- Optimum Opti-Seal (Sealant to make it easier to clean brake dust)

Body
- Klasse All In One (AIO) (Light chemical polish/seal)
- Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (HGSG) (3 layers, 24 hour cure time between each coat)
- Optimum Opti-Seal (Used on black body panels)
- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant (2 final coats of sealant. Probably won't do much as the Klasse sealant has been applied, but I was anxious to try it out to see the difference in gloss/depth over other products. I think Klasse will last longer but Wolfgang is very easy to apply/remove and leaves a slicker finish)
- Collinite Fleet Wax (Final coat after the sealants)

Windows
- Klasse All In One (AIO) (To remove water spots & light sealing)
- Optimum Opti-Seal (2nd layer of seal)
- RainX (Works great but doesn't last long)

Leather Care
- Leatherique Pristine Clean
- Leather agitation brush

Dash
- Sonax Dashboard Cleaner

Carpeting
- 303 Fabric Guard

Quick Detailer
- Optimum No-Rinse

Last edited by Dukat; 10-16-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0