06-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #79
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Yes, I can confirm that the caulk is applied by robot after seeing this in some BMW production videos (I wish I could remember where I saw that). Where the caulk is straight, it's way straighter and more uniform than a human could do it, and where it's back-filled, it's done in a repeatable pattern no human could do. Go back to the picture I posted on page 1 of my Z4's caulk, and you can see a back-fill pattern very clearly.
In the pics that X3andZ4owner posted, especially pic no. 4, it SURE looks like there was some human intervention in the form or somebody sticking their finger in the sealant. I've looked at the sealant line on my Feb. production X3 an there is no similar evidence of somebody sticking their fingers in where they didn't belong. The sealant lines are smooth and there are no peaks visible. It seems that his car is probably not typical of most X3s so he should have a very good case to get something done to correct it.

Who knows what actually happened. Maybe the robot sealing device was a little low on pressure or running out of sealant, so some person decided to "smooth" the sealant over a few gaps. It might be a good idea to compare the car side by side with others at the same dealership.
Appreciate 0