View Single Post
      10-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #29
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
Wow, that some serious snow (in both locations!). I guess that's one of the main factors... how much snow places get. In Colorado Springs our winters are not what they used to be. Doesn't mean we can't get trapped in a storm. It's just there are so few times nowadays that we have to concern ourselves with it.

I know this sounds crazy, but do they make snow tires (or tyres - "ti-rees" lol) for 19" rims? I'm doubting since 19" is more of a sport/summer wheel size.

I like the wheel so much, I hate the idea of driving with a higher profile, knock-off wheel for 6 months of the year for the once or twice where it might help. Sounds vain, but hey, if looks weren't part of it, we'd all be driving something different.
Yeah they make 19" winter performance, you don't need the ice ones, the ride is worse (and they don't last as long) and unless you live in Canada or some northern Euro regions you are fine with winter performance.
I was actually thinking of getting 19" winter for the 369M wheels and then buying 20" wheels (either the 310M or saving a couple grand with tirerack wheels). I am pretty sure I am going to stick with the 19" 369M for summer and get 18" tirerack wheels with snow tires for winter, probably keep the all season on until my wife blows a tire (it will happen). Might still try to talk the dealer into swapping some performance tires for the all season for a small fee (which in BMW dealer terms is like $1,000 for the labor, )

oh and "knock off" wheels, some of them are, but I wouldn't call all those companies "knock off" wheel makers, they make some nice designs and will save you $100+/wheel compared to OEM wheels. you can always get a BMW roundel emblem and stick it on or you might even find the right center cap on ebay to change it out! BMW doesn't make wheels so even those M wheels you have are not "BMW" wheels they are all made by outside companies, so you adding the BMW Roundel is more of a cosmetic thing to make your wheels match your car looks than you trying to make people think you spent more on your wheels than you had to,
Appreciate 0