View Single Post
      02-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #14
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
It is the technology incorporated into the car that makes the car more fuel efficient that gives this battery warning. From what I have heard and confirmed by knowledgeable UK dealers, the normal charging process in every day driving only charges the battery to 80%. In colder temperatures even with the heavy duty battery this throws up the warning. This deficit leaves energy recovery systems to charge the other other 20% up to 100% when braking, so making the car more energy efficient. The Civic Si and the Mazda3 do NOT have this level of technology.
I do appreciate the energy regeneration system... But a complex system is no good if it's flawed. I don't know if I've met any BMW owner, ever, who would be okay with some potentially scary error messages (scary because being out with your family on a -27 degree day and being worried your car might not start is scary) to save about 1 mpg.

I LOVE the idea of this technology, but it really has to work under all foreseeable conditions before it goes into cars.. It's not new, either. I understand it debuted on the 2012 3-series.